Our denomination, the Evangelical Presbyterian Church, has provided the following guidance in regards to administering the Lord’s Supper during a virtual worship service:
It is the ruling of the Stated Clerk that the administration of the Lord’s Supper during a virtual worship service is temporarily permissible under the Constitution. This ruling will remain in effect until physical gatherings are no longer prohibited or the 40th General Assembly [September 17-18, 2020] acts on it, whichever comes first.Evangelical Presbyterian Church guidance
Because the Session at Christ Alone Church understands that not everyone is able or ready to meet in person due to health concerns, we have been offering live-streaming services, and have decided to allow individuals worshiping with us virtually on Sunday mornings to participate in celebrating the Lord’s Supper at the time we are holding it.
This provision will be in effect until the EPC 40th General Assembly on September 17-18, 2020.
Instructions for celebrating the Lord’s Supper virtually at Christ Alone Church:
- We celebrate the Lord’s Supper on the first Sunday of each month, with the exception of June, which will be celebrated on June 21, 2020.
- The time in which we celebrate the Lord’s Supper is at our 10:00 AM worship service.
- The elements should be prepared beforehand – a very small cup (about 1 oz) of grape juice (or water if juice is not available) and a small piece of bread should be set aside for the appropriate time during the worship service.
- The elements should be consumed at the time Pastor Cory directs everyone to do so.
- Any unconsumed elements can be consumed or disposed of following the conclusion of the worship service.
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact Pastor Cory at the church (920) 857-3231 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.